4522 Abernathy Road, Suisun Valley, CA 94534 707 438-3674
We encourage historical info from former students and teachers, please write to us.
Website Address: www.gomerschool.com firstname.lastname@example.org
History > 1. History - Gomer Schools and Chronological History
Welcome to Gomer
Map To Gomer School
• Our Sponsors
In the News
0. GS History
1. Gomer Schools
2. Local Schools
Other 1-Room Schoolhouses
1. Other 1 Room Schools
Watercolor by Ilse Luense-Escobales
1/4/05 4:32 PM
1811 William Gomer was born in North Carolina.
1857 The original structure was built. As a public school it was called Suisun #2. The superintendent of public schools was J.W. Hines.
1860 The Gomer's came to California and purchased $7,000 real property in Solano County of which 250 acres were in Suisun Valley and 302 acres were of tule land a mile south of Suisun City. Suisun Valley land was valued at $20 per acre.
1860 The census report listed some of the Gomer's nighbors as the Josiah Wing Sr. family, the Landy Alford family and B.N. Sheldon and his wife Mary Gomer Shedon (born 1841 in Missouri). The Gomer's and their son's Nicholas (born 1839 in Missouri) and Pinkney T. (born 1843 in Illinois) were also listed as neighbors.
1861 Solano County Superintendent J.W. Hines sent a report to the State, that he was concerned with the poor quality of the school.
1864 Nicholas B., Jane Gomer's brother, was listed in her will. Pinkney T. Wells and heirs were given interest in the ranch near Suisun. The bond was to be executed for $850, to be paid without interest to grandchildren Alice Jane and William or survivors.
1900 The original structure burned down in 1900 and the present Gomer School was built.
1926 A second room to Gomer School was added and contained students from Kindergarten through the eighth grade.
1927 The school's 300 pound bell was installed.
1957 Gomer, which was it's own school district, merged with Suisun Valley School until it was returned to Gomer in 1986.
1986 The Gomer bell was moved from Suisun Valley School to the Gomer School site.
1960's The Solano County Office of Education obtained ownership of the Gomer School site.
1960's - 1980's Gomer School was used as a bakery for the Upper Solano County Association of Retarted Citizens (USARC) clients as a vocational training site.
1988 The Solano County Office of Education Regional Occupational Program (ROP) built an additional wing and installed a new kitchen for use as a bakery and a restaurant. Leaving the original Gomer School classroom to be renovated by the newly created Gomer School Historical Association.
The Gomer School Historical Association became a non-profit organization to collect historical memorabilia and pre-1925 items to display. The room is made available to the public for meetings and gatherings when it is completed.
members of the Gomer School Historical Association and their positions
were as follows: Margo McGlone, President (1988-present); Robert Pokorny
(deceased), Vice President; Joy Pettygrove (deceased), Vice President;
Sally Mullane (deceased), Financial Officer; Dorthe Sumner (deceased),
Secretary; Fred Pelser, Public Relations Chairperson; Bert Hughs, Historical
Committee Chairperson; Barbara Van Putten, Historical Committee
2001 5/1 Centennial Celebration...even if it was a year late. ;)
If you have a class photo that is not here,
PLEASE donate or let us borrow it so we can scan in for this website
and make a print to display at
the actual school house! Call 707-428-1743 or email
webmaster Your help is greatly appreciated!